TWIF Notes 8/19/24

Welcome Back!

Today starts my normal in-season schedule, as I have finished all of my previews (check out my Previews Parts I through XXV in my previous 25 blogs), and it is finally GAME WEEK!

In case you are new, and not one of my two faithful readers (many thanks to my eldest son and to my brother!), let me go through what you can expect from me during the season.  Obviously, this week will be slightly different.

On Mondays, I have my TWIF Notes. This is just a (very) brief recap of all the games that took place the previous weekend.  I don't have a research staff, and I don't have 12 TVs in my living room, so you won't get an in depth analysis of every game.  Besides, I don't have that kind of time, and anyway, you can find that elsewhere.  What you will get is my unique perspective of what the wins and losses mean for each team, and how they might affect their season, and the occasional interesting statistic. Like I said, the recaps will be brief, usually just a sentence or two, because who has time to read an in-depth analysis of every game?  And obviously, more important games will get more attention, while games against FCS teams will mostly just get a score- unless the FBS team loses. I should mention that TWIF stands for "This Week In Football."

On Tuesdays, I will reveal my updated Power Rankings, and list the biggest movers, both those moving up, and those moving down.  I use my own formula, and for the early part of the season, it is heavily weighted on my preseason points.  As we move forward into the season, I will switch out the preseason points for in-season statistical results, and the rankings will be based solely on a team's performance this season. Usually, I will do this after every team has played at least 4 games (1/3 of the schedule), so around the end of September or the beginning of October. A large component of my rankings are strength of schedule, which again, is my own formula.

On Wednesdays is Odds and Ends.  This is where I present interesting statistics that you can't easily find elsewhere.  Well, at least I find them interesting. These include:

Interconference results- which conference has the best OOC record.
Intraconference results- how do the divisions fare against each other within each conference (I'm a little sad that only the Sun Belt has divisions).
Undefeated/Winless teams- Starting week 2, I keep a running list of undefeated and winless teams throughout the season, updated each week.
Bowl eligible/eliminated- Starting midseason, I keep a running list of teams as they reach bowl eligibility (6+ wins) or are eliminated from bowl eligibility (7+ losses).
Updates on my playoff picks- After I reveal my picks this Wednesday, I will update them each week.

On Thursdays, I give you Paul's Picks, my picks for every game taking place that week, and sometimes will include my reasoning, be it sound or just a gut feeling.

On Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, I usually don't post anything, but I may if the Spirit moves me, but don't count on it. I always announce on X/Twitter  (@pbanderson) and Facebook when I post a new blog, or you can just follow me here. 


I hope you enjoy my format, but feel free to offer suggestions in the comments. Come back tomorrow for my Power Rankings!

Until next time, may you and your loved ones be blessed! 

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Are You Ready?

It's Almost Time!

More Struggles