Odds and Ends 8/28/24

Welcome Back!

Today will be a little sparse, as there were only 4 games this past weekend, and there just isn't much to analyze.


Interconference results

As I mentioned above, there were only 4 games, and 1 was a conference game. Here is where we stand so far:

ACC 1-0
FCS 1-1
MWC 1-2

There will be a lot more games in the FCS column next week.

Intraconference results

The only conference with divisions is the Sun Belt, and they have yet to play a game.

Undefeated/Winless teams

I will start to list these after Week 2 (we just finished Week Zero).

Bowl eligible/eliminated

I will start listing these as soon as teams become bowl eligible (6 wins) or eliminated (7 losses). Look for this in October.


Paul's Playoff Picks

All of my picks are still in play (obviously), but FSU's possible bid looks a little shakier. And could Ga Tech make it in, or is that just a huge overreaction?

As a refresher, here is the setup for the CFP:

5 slots are reserved for the 5 highest ranked conference champions; 7 slots are at-large (any team)
The top 4 conference champions get a bye for the 1st round. The next 4 seeds get a home game for the 1st round, and the 9-12 seeds travel to play 4-8 (4 vs 12, 5 vs 11, etc.). Teams are not reseeded after the 1st round, and Notre Dame cannot be a top 4 seed because they are not a member of any conference. After the 1st round, it plays out like any tournament- quarterfinals, semifinals, then finals, all at neutral sites (which I hope will change in future years).


Having said all that, here is who I think makes it into this year's 12-team CFP, presented in no particular order:

Georgia
Ohio State
FSU
Utah
Notre Dame
Boise State
Clemson
Texas
Oregon
Iowa
Missouri
LSU

Some of you are probably screaming at me right now with, "what about...?" and you would probably be right. This is all just a colossal guess. So to hedge my bets a bit, here are the teams I think also have a chance to make it in:

Alabama
Ole Miss
Tennessee
Penn State
Michigan 
USC
Rutgers
Miami, Fl
SMU
Va Tech
Louisville
NC State
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
Arizona
West Virginia
Kansas
UTSA
Tulane
Memphis
East Carolina
Air Force
Appalachian State
Texas State
Toledo
Northern Illinois
Liberty

This is obviously an extensive list, because I basically listed every P4 team with a chance to get 9+ wins, and every G5 team that I think could get 10+ wins. I am 99.9% sure that I will be wrong about much of this, but I would be happy if I get at least 6 of the 12 teams right, and 10-12 come from these 2 lists.


I'll update how my picks are doing each Wednesday throughout the season.




Feel free to leave a comment. Come back tomorrow for Paul's Picks! 

Until next time, may you and your loved ones be blessed!   

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Are You Ready?

It's Almost Time!

More Struggles