2026 College Football Preview Part XVIII- Sun Belt Conference
Welcome Back!
Today I continue my conference previews. These previews will attempt to predict how each conference finishes, but realize that doing so is extremely difficult, especially since no conference has a balanced schedule. Also, whatever the conferences come up with in the form of tiebreakers will make a huge difference, as all but the Sun Belt have done away with divisions. In addition, these predictions aren't my personal opinion; they are the result of the formula/model/statistical analysis/whatever. I will sometimes mention my thoughts in the narratives below the predictions. Also, the formula for my predictions here is different than for my Power Rankings. In other words, for a particular conference, one team may appear higher than another team here, but be ranked behind that same team in the PR.
The list of records for 3-years, 6-years, and 10 years are conference records only, and do not include any results for the conference championship games. You will notice that the teams haven't all played the same number of games, especially when considering they should have. This is because that teams played a varied number of games in 2020, and that sometimes games get cancelled (see Virginia in 2022, for example). In the case of teams switching conferences, I counted the record from their previous conference. Independent teams joining a conference were counted with their full record (UMass last year), but FCS teams moving up enter with 0-0 records.
In case you are interested, I get all of my information from various sources. I use the 4 main preview magazines (Phil Steele, Lindy's, Athlon, and Sporting News), but I also use many different websites, including (but not limited to): Google, Winsipedia, sports-reference.com, ESPN.com, TeamRankings.com, NCAA.com, and, of course, individual school websites.
I don't have a staff- it's just me- so all of the research is my own from these various sources (it doesn't help when they contradict each other...), so any mistakes are mine. I also don't have an editor/proofreader, so you are likely to find several (many? I hope not) typos, such as commas where periods should be (or vice versa), a misspelled or missing word, doubled words ("the the" in the middle of a sentence, for example), etc.
Finally, feel free to leave a comment. Interacting is much of the fun! Of course, if you know me personally, feel free to just text. I'll get that a lot quicker.
So, on with the previews!
Sun Belt Conference
3-Year History
JMU 19-5/.792/1st
Troy 16-8/.667/2nd
Louisiana 15-9/.625/3rd
ODU 15-9/.625/3rd
Arkansas St 14-10/.583/5th
Marshall 13-11/.542/6th
CCU 13-11/.542/6th
Ga Southern 13-11/.542/6th
South Alabama 12-12/.500/9th
App St 11-13/.458/10th
La Tech 11-13/.458/10th
Southern Miss 7-17/.292/12th
Ga State 4-20/.167/13th
ULM 4-20/.167/13th
6-Year History
JMU 25-7/.781/1st
Louisiana 34-14/.708/2nd
CCU 33-15/.688/3rd
Troy 29-18/.617/4th
Marshall 27-18/.600/5th
App St 27-21/.563/6th
ODU 22-18/.550/7th
S Ala 24-24/.500/8th
Ga Sou 22-26/.458/9th
La Tech 19-27/.413/10th
Ark St 18-30/.375/11th
Ga St 17-31/.354/12th
USM 15-31/.326/13th
ULM 9-38/.191/14th
10-Year History
App St 55-25/.688/1st
Louisiana 55-25/.688/1st
Troy 52-27/.658/3rd
Marshall 45-32/.584/4th
CCU 39-33/.542/5th
Ark St 41-39/.513/6th
La Tech 40-38/.513/6th
Ga Sou 39-41/.488/8th
ODU 34-38/.472/9th
USM 35-43/.449/10th
S Ala 32-48/.400/11th
Ga St 29-51/.363/12th
ULM 24-55/.304/13th
JMU N/A
Predicted Finish:
East Division
James Madison
ODU
Marshall
Georgia Southern
Appalachian State
Coastal Carolina
Georgia State
West Division
Troy
Louisiana
Arkansas State
La Tech
South Alabama
Southern Miss
ULM
Conference Champion: James Madison
Chances to make the playoffs: James Madison made the CFP mainly because 5-loss Duke won the ACC Championship Game, and thus JMU was one of the 5 highest ranked conference champions. That scenario is not likely to happen again, as the ACC has taken steps to ensure it doesn’t. I still think every conference champion should make the CFP, especially if we expand to 24 teams, but that’s neither here nor there. The chances of an SBC team going undefeated is pretty slim. Heck, the chance of any team in any conference going unbeaten anymore is low. But if the SBC has an undefeated team, they’re not likely to have the schedule strength to get into the CFP. JMU plays Liberty and ay SDSU and UConn; ODU hosts ECU and plays at Va Tech and UConn; Troy plays Sam Houston and at Missouri and Utah State; and Louisiana hosts UAB and plays at USC and Charlotte. Any of these teams winning any or all of their games just won’t really move the needle nationally, with maybe the exception of USC in Los Angeles. What the SBC needs to do is win a large majority of games like these, to raise the profile of the conference. I would say the chances of a repeat entrant in the CFP would be slim, maybe 25%.
Don’t be surprised if… App State bounces back after a couple of subpar years. They have the schedule to challenge in the East with the toughest games at home, and the OOC schedule should prepare them well.
I’m not convinced… La Tech will finish higher than 6th in the Division, as they may have a hard time in their 1st season in the SBC.
Make sure you come back tomorrow as I continue my previews!
Until next time, may you and your loved ones be blessed!
Comments
Post a Comment