Power Rankings 9/29/26

Welcome Back!

I have to admit it; I wasn't sure how my new formula would work, since I deemphasized the amount of points my preseason bonus was worth. It seemed to work pretty well for these 1st 4 games, as teams moved more, but not too much. In the past, teams didn't move much at all, even if they won or lost a big game, because the preseason points exerted an oversized influence. So this year I reduced that influence, and it seems to have worked well. 

I also expected the large movement that has happened previously after removing the preseason points to be less than in the past. Boy, was I wrong! So many teams moved 10 or more places that it would take me an hour to type all the team names in this document. 32 of the top 47 moved up or down at least 10 places, so I just stopped figuring the rest out. I'll leave that to you.

But here is what I can say without fear of contradiction: UMass does not belong at #22, and I sure don't expect them to stay there. However, up to this point, the Minutemen are undefeated, have a positive point differential, and are playing well statistically. That won't last, as their competition has been 2 FCS teams, FBS newcomer Sacramento State, and Rutgers. 

So in other words, take these interim rankings with a grain of salt (and maybe a lot of alcohol!), as they will change a lot before the end of the season. As I've stated in past seasons, I am less interested in being correct right now than I am in being correct at the end of the season, and my end-of-season record is pretty good.

It should be noted that ULM remains in the bottom spot. As of now, the SEC holds the top 4 slots, and 6 of the top 7. That won't last. Indiana (#9) is the highest among the Big Ten teams, with Miami (#5), James Madison (#11), BYU (#19), UMass (#22)North Dakota State (#25)Boise State (#32), USF (#41), and Liberty (#52) the leaders from their respective conferences. Ga Tech is now the lowest rated P4 team.

Here are the teams that moved the most:

Mississippi State +41 to #3
UCLA +33 to #13
Virginia Tech +34 to #18
UMass +107 to #22
Oklahoma State +43 to #24
North Dakota State +48 to #25
New Mexico +32 to #27
UCF +42 to #33
Oregon -30 to #34
Ole Miss -30 to #39
Georgia State +75 to #44
Oklahoma -40 to #54
App State +32 to #55
Louisville -36 to #56
FAU +30 to #61
Clemson - 45 to #64
Washington -42 to #67
South Carolina -37 to #68
Oregon State +47 to #70
Texas A&M -56 to #73
TCU -35 to #75
FIU +34 to #76
Illinois -31 to #78
FSU -45 to #79
UAB +31 to #94
San Diego State -30 to #114
Navy -50 to #119
ODU -34 to #120
Georgia Tech -61 to #124
Hawaii -33 to #131
WKU -36 to #132

That's 31 teams that moved at least 30 spots up (14) or down (17). 


As a reminder, I use a points based system. Teams start out with a certain number of points based on 12 different factors, and those points range from a low of -20.887 (#138 UMass) to a high of 315.128 points (#1 Oregon), so as you can see, there are about 335 points separating 1st and last place- plenty of room to fit in 136 additional teams. In other words, teams are an average of 2.4 points apart, but of course they aren't spaced evenly; some are 10-20 points away from another while others are less than a point away. To illustrate the difference, my number one team last year had over 1300 points, while the last place team had just 54. As you can see, the teams are much closer this year, as I had an average distance of almost 10 points between teams last year. As teams play games, they earn or lose points based on who they played, where they played,  and the score of that game. Sometimes a team can lose points after a win or gain points after a loss. For example, if Oregon played UMass and won by 2 points, chances are they will lose points because the game is much closer than a game between #s 1 and 138 should be. The same goes for defeating an FCS team by very few points, and a loss to an FCS team means quite a bit of negative points. Once we reach the end of September, I will drop the preseason points, and from then on, the rankings will be based on results and stats from this year only. 



Anyway, here are my new rankings from 1 to 138:


RankTeamPrevious
1Georgia5
2Alabama11
3Mississippi State44
4Texas1
5Miami, Fl7
6Florida27
7LSU12
8Notre Dame3
9Indiana2
10Utah24
11James Madison26
12Ohio State6
13UCLA46
14Iowa16
15Pittsburgh33
16Nebraska35
17Duke32
18Virginia Tech52
19BYU15
20Tennessee18
21Kansas State38
22UMass129
23Cincinnati43
24Oklahoma State67
25North Dakota State73
26Virginia36
27New Mexico59
28USC13
29Michigan10
30Texas Tech8
31Houston30
32Boise State28
33UCF75
34Oregon4
35Penn State21
36Wisconsin62
37Auburn29
38Kentucky65
39Ole Miss9
40SMU23
41USF48
42Baylor56
43North Carolina72
44Georgia State119
45Northwestern53
46Missouri22
47Wake Forest61
48Arizona42
49West Virginia51
50Minnesota50
51Memphis41
52Liberty68
53Vanderbilt37
54Oklahoma14
55Appalachian State87
56Louisville20
57Iowa State57
58Arizona State49
59Fresno State39
60Toledo70
61FAU91
62NC State54
63Army58
64Clemson19
65Louisiana90
66UTSA45
67Washington25
68South Carolina31
69Michigan State77
70Oregon State117
71North Texas55
72Texas State64
73Texas A&M17
74Tulsa97
75TCU40
76FIU110
77Syracuse105
78Illinois47
79FSU34
80Colorado State104
81Maryland78
82Air Force88
83Colorado80
84Western Michigan66
85UNLV60
86Kansas84
87UConn81
88Stanford112
89La Tech99
90South Alabama101
91Arkansas79
92Jacksonville State94
93California85
94UAB125
95Arkansas State95
96San Jose State109
97Miami, OH82
98Delaware100
99Boston College106
100Tulane71
101East Carolina76
102Temple111
103Middle Tenn120
104Georgia Southern102
105Sam Houston134
106Marshall89
107Troy83
108Ohio93
109Washington State92
110Purdue115
111Wyoming126
112Coastal Carolina113
113New Mexico State121
114San Diego State74
115Rice124
116Rutgers108
117Missouri State123
118Southern Miss116
119Navy69
120ODU86
121Central Michigan103
122Akron122
123Kent State130
124Georgia Tech63
125Kennesaw State107
126Eastern Michigan127
127Buffalo114
128UTEP128
129Nevada136
130Utah State118
131Hawai'i98
132WKU96
133Ball State131
134Sacramento State132
135Charlotte137
136Northern Illinois133
137Bowling Green135
138ULM138


I will update these rankings each week throughout the season.

Feel free to leave a comment. Come back tomorrow for my Odds and Ends! 

Until next time, may you and your loved ones be blessed!   

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Paul's Picks 2025 Week 11

College Football Preview Part IX

Paul's Picks- Bowls Part II